- Totally Rad Show
- Scam School
- No Good TV
- Fast Lane Daily
- Channel Federator
- Game Tralers
July 31, 2007
Downtime and Baby Release
It’s been a long couple of months of development, but we’re beginning to roll out a bunch of new stuff… We’ll be taking down our production server for about 24 hours starting this afternoon.
So, here are the updates to the CozmoTV service that you should expect this week and over the next 2-3 weeks:
- RSS Channels: We will be releasing an upgrade to our channel lineup this week. As part of this release, we will be adding approximately 1,400 RSS based channels to our network. These include such classics as Rocketboom, Goodnight Burbank, Wallstrip and others. This list will continue to grow now that the infrastructure is in place and you can expect to see 500+ new channels appear every couple of weeks or so for the next few months. As these channels are driven by RSS, you’ll also see them updated regularly.
- Celebrity Channels: We will be releasing a dozen new celebrity channels/widgets over the next month as we gear up a promotion over at MySpace. As we launch each of these networks I will post about them and include a link to the promoted MySpace profile. We’ll also be running some promotions along side these new channels which I’ll explain as we launch them.
- Custom Networks: We have also simplified embedding of widgets by removing the registration requirement. We are moving towards a model than allows you to modify the introduction animation of the widget and create your own branded television network. When someone grabs one of your widgets to embed in another site, branding and channel lineup will automatically follow. I’ll be writing a longer post about this next week as the first of these networks come online.
- Blip.tv Support: We have also added Blip.tv support. About 350 of the new channels are Blip.tv channels and more will follow.
- Search is Finally Fixed: We’ve had an issue with search for some time that resulted in none of the user channels showing up. We have been pushing an update off until we could rebuild the entire search service as the old search service was not scaling properly. We’ve finally finished that update so now you will see all different types of channels show up under related when you do a search.
- New Server: We’ve also deployed on a new server so there should be some performance improvements overall to the site. We’ll see if these performance enhancements survive the roll out of our new widgets…
We will be testing these changes out over the next month as we roll out the rest of the upgrades to the service. You can also expect the following before we announce version 2 publicly and make too much noise about the improved service.
- Widget Skin: We are also going to be rolling out some changes to the skin of the widget. First, we have introduced a footer for the widget. We had been working to keep the player skinless, but people were having too much trouble finding the links under the Menu. Now the embed link, registration/sign in link, and fullscreen link are all visible along the bottom of the player. We have also made a significant improvement to the overall look and feel of the widget controls as well. Below are some screen shots of the new widget interface. You can expect these changes to go into effect over the next few weeks.
- Wordpress Integration: We will be ensuring that CozmoTV widgets can be embedded in hosted Wordpress environments.
- Website Upgrade: We will be making some changes to the overall interface at http://cozmo.tv over the next month that should make things a little easier to understand (especially channel/widget creation). We have a wholesale re-factoring of the interface to accomplish, but until Joel gets back from his honeymoon, we’re not going to make a run for it:)
July 25, 2007
CozmoTV in a Nutshell
We’ve been evolving our messaging (and mission) substantially over the last couple of months as we’ve begun to mature CozmoTV. So, to help clarify for many of you were CozmoTV stands and where we are heading, a few quick notes…
What is CozmoTV?
To put it simply, CozmoTV enables anyone to create a branded television network and embed that network in any site. You can think of CozmoTV as a bit like an embeddable version of VeohTV, Miro or Joost. You can use CozmoTV to:
- Create a personal a la carte cable network by adding channels to a player and embedding it in a service like Pageflakes, or you can
- Broadcast channels to an audience by adding channels to a player and embedding it in a public place like your blog, MySpace page, etc.
How do I Watch?
We started out attempting to drive traffic to our site, but it has quickly become apparent that the portable widget is a preferable place to watch the channels in our network. In other words, CozmoTV should be watched via our widget. We will continue to update the www.cozmo.tv website, but you will increasingly see it serve the role of administrative interface to external widgets rather than a place to watch our channels. You can see the widget in action above.
What Can I Watch?
CozmoTV indexes flash video from multiple sites. Right now we have finished YouTube and Blip.tv integration. We carry over 1,500 channels from these networks with an additional 500+ channels coming online each month. As we add new site integration the number of channels will continue to increase. Channels are mostly UGC today, but will grow to include studio content over time.
What’s the Point?
Our mission is to help people find perfect Internet video channels. If you are looking for an individual video or a single clip, go to Blinkx, Truveo or Google Video. They provide great services for pure video search. However, if you are looking for great episodes or great thematic channels that will keep you watching for hours, use CozmoTV. Using a combination of human curators, site context and personalization algorithms; we believe that CozmoTV will put you in front of the perfect channel.
The Bottom Line
If you are a consumer of video, we’ll help you find the most personally compelling Internet video channels available. If you are a content owner, we’ll help you reach your ideal audience quickly and inexpensively through targeted television networks. And if you are a site owner, we’ll help you add an entire television network to your site in minutes.